(Left to right) Peter Glahn, Val Hale, Nancy Hale, Jami, Randy
Freezing, waiting for the final word about the swim
Before the race all of us just waiting-- love my helmet on the hoodie look? I was trying to set a new tend at the tris this year!Me about to cross the finish line-- you can't see the tears in my eyes though-- happy tears of "I am so glad this is finished and I am so proud of myself tears!"
So we accomplished our goal and completed the St. George Triathlon! It was a little bit of a bummer because they canceled the swim due to the wind and made it a run-bike-run triathlon. I was glad they didn't just make it a biathlon but doing that run twice was tough! The run was a 5k which was done primarily in the sand-- like sand dune sand and there are hills to climb in that sand! It was by far the toughest 5k course I have ever done. the first time around the course I just kept saying to myself, "I have to do this again?" Anyway, it was challenging but fun. The bike was another tough course as well. There is a hill that was fairly step and really long that I had to convince myself not to get off and walk-- I didn't and am so proud of that fact. Come to find out that the bike that I borrowed from my dad-- well, I just didn't know how to use the gears correctly and I think I did that while course in the wrong gear which would explain why many people were passing me in the bike portion with ease. After I finished the bike I hopped off it and thought, "Holy cow, my legs feel like heavy barrels-- how am I going to do that crazy 5k course running like I am pulling logs?" But I pushed myself and did mind over matter and finished without stopping! I was a little bummed about my time which was 2:07 (with a 4 minute transition time included). I really was hoping for under two hours but I'll take it-- it gives me something to aim for next time. And yes, there will be a next time! It was really fun and we loved doing it with our neighbors and friends the Glahns and the Hales! I need to give a loud shout out to the Hales for lending some great advice to us in preparation for it!
PS Extremely proud of Randy for his accomplishments. He finished in 1:40 with about 4 minutes transition. He was amazing. He took 6th in his age division out of 55 and this was his first triathlon ever!
PSS Thanks to Chelsey for coming with us to watch Chase while we raced! She made it a lot more fun for us!


5 comments:
Go Jami, Go Randy! What a great accomplishment. Wish I knew before hand that we were both down there at the same time.
I am so happy for you!!! You are awesome! I am nervous for mine but you gave me courage :)
Congrats you guys! You are awesome. Can't wait to see you in just 6 weeks!!
Good Job!
I am a little disappointed about the bicycle gear problem. You mean all those slickrock adventures didn't pay off?
that is awesome!
Post a Comment